The Virginia Breastfeeding Task Force is a 501C3 nonprofit and forum open to all to develop and implement effective breastfeeding promotion and support strategies.
- To improve infant and family health by making breastfeeding the cultural norm
- To create a supportive public environment
- To improve the rates of breastfeeding initiation and duration in Virginia to meet the National Healthy People 2020 Breastfeeding Objective of :
- 81.9% of women breastfeeding at hospital discharge
- 60.6 % breastfeeding their infants at 6 months and
- 34.1 % breastfeeding their infants at 1 year of age.
- To increase public awareness of breastfeeding support networks
- To advance the “breastfeeding friendly” model of health care delivery and offer professional education to health care providers
- To increase positive breastfeeding messages in the media and commercial sector
- To protect the rights and needs of breastfeeding families and to promote breastfeeding as a way to decrease health care costs
- Statewide Networking
- Resource Sharing
- Access to Lactation Professionals and Resources
- Quarterly Meetings
- Strength in Numbers